November 8, 2018
Background checks are a critical tool that all professional pet sitters should use whether they have employees or not. When most people think of a background check they think of a simple criminal history check. In reality, a background check is much more than that. It’s the process by which you find your best candidate by looking at a number of factors. It Takes a Village Pet Care conducts background checks on every single employee with a scope of seven years, including:
- County Criminal Search – a search of a specific county’s court records. It provides felony information, and it may also contain misdemeanor or infraction information.
- Federal Criminal Records Search – checks federal records for crimes that are prosecuted at a federal level, which include infractions such as tax evasion, bank robbery, kidnapping, and counterfeiting. In addition, It Takes a Village Pet Care checks for animal abuse charges.
- Nationwide Alias Multi-State Criminal/Sex Offender – details in this report may include identifiers, registered addresses, aliases, case numbers, charge, conviction details, and period of incarceration.
Background checks offer peace of mind to the pet sitting company as well as the customer because they:
- Highlight criminal history
- Flag past infractions that might impact an individual’s ability to perform a job
- Fulfill due diligence and avoid liability
- Give you a full picture of the person’s history
- Keep employees and customers safe
- Highlight dishonesty
If your pet sitter is not able to confirm a successful background check then perhaps you should wonder if they have something to hide.
In Part 4 of What is a Professional Pet Sitter?, we will discuss Pet First Aid/CPR training.